The Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG was first revealed at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show. Since that time, there have been several versions of the gullwing coupe created, including the fantastic Black Series. Sadly, all good things come to an end, and the final version of the SLS AMG series has been revealed: The Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT.
Fun fact: The Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG was the first model designed in-house by AMG.
The successor to the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren will have a fine send-off in GT form. It is currently on display at the Los Angeles Auto Show and the Tokyo Auto Show and will grace showroom floors as early as 2014.
- Just 350 examples will be produced. This sum includes both gullwing and convertible versions of the GT, so the price could skyrocket.
- This is not only the final SLS AMG, but also the last one to pack the AMG 6.2-liter V8. Future AMG V8 engines will utilize a twin-turbocharged 5.5-liter or a 4.0-liter.
- The engine produces 583 horses with a 0-60 mile per hour sprint of 3.6 seconds.
- Top speed is an electronically limited 197 miles per hour, which is ideal for the office commuter.
- Owners will enjoy the unique RACE START launch control system on the 7-speed AMG SPEEDSHIFT dual-clutch gearbox. The feature assists with an adrenaline-filled launch each time.
The final version of the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG is fitted with a hood designed to look like carbon fiber. It is unclear why they skimped on using actual carbon fiber for the hoods. The wheels for this version are offered in two styles: matte black with a thin rim flange or inlayed black matte with a high gloss finish. Both options look great with the red brake calipers and racing tires.
Inside the final Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG is every luxury car owner’s dream: diamond stitched leather, carbon fiber and technology all wrapped around a seat designed for driving. The center console reads “AMG FINAL EDITION” followed by the number out of the 350 units made (5 of 350, for example). While the standard package is impressive, those after more luxury can add the following upgrades: carbon ceramic brakes, Bang & Olufsen BeoSound surround system, carbon fiber exterior mirror cover and engine covers.