Porsche fans near the east coast can take in a unique Porsche exhibit. The “Porsche by Design: Seducing Speed” exhibit will be located at the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh. There are classic style Porsche cars, racing cars, celebrity cars and odd looking prototypes on display.
1958 Porsche Speedster
What visitors can expect to see when visiting the museum for the Porsche exhibit:
- There are 22 glorious examples of Porsche cars from over the decades.
- There is a 1938 Type 64 Berlin-Rom Racer.
- A one-off 1989 Panamericana concept car with a zip-off top is a special sight. The Panamericana was a lavish gift to Ferry Porsche to mark his 80th birthday, and this show will mark its first visit stateside. While it was the only one produced, elements of its design are apparent in todays 911 line.
- Celebrity Porsche cars are also taking the red carpet at the Seducing Speed show. Some examples include: Ralph Lauren’s 1988 Type 959, Steve McQueen’s 1958 Speedster and Janis Joplin’s 1965 Type 356C Cabriolet. Joplin’s loudly colored car is typically parked at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
- Racing examples will also be gracing the show, including the Type 804 Formula One Porsche from 1962. This model boasts an intriguing design wherein the driver’s seat is essentially a cradle formed by the gas tank. Today’s engineers use carbon fiber and other lightweight materials to shave off weight and therefore increase speed, but we must hand it to the ingenuity of the past! Though, in the event of a crash, the driver would certainly be in hot water.
Joplin’s 1965 Type 356C Cabriolet illustrated her artistic side.
Those interested in attending can visit the North Carolina Museum of Art, 2110 Blue Ridge Road in Raleigh. The show is running now and will remain through January the 20th, 2014.
Hours for the exhibit are 10am-5pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays with Friday hours extending until 9pm. I suppose that Monday must be the day the cars are detailed and pampered.
Pricing: Admission to the museum is free. Entering the Porsche by Design: Seducing Speed exhibit is $18 for adults, making an affordably awesome date night. For further details and to view all of the cars, visit ncartmuseum.org.