Excitement is mounting for the first-ever electric car racing circuit, the Formula E Championship. The 2014 2014 Spark-Renault SRT_01E is poised to be the first electric racer ready for the challenge. Check out the body, it appears to be every bit a beast, and can meet the strict criteria for the championship.
The world got a sneak peek at the 2014 Spark-Renault SRT_01E at the 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show. It is to be the world’s first sanctioned electric car for the Formula E Championship.
The 2014 Spark-Renault SRT_01E at a glance:
- Power is derived from a McLaren electric motor. It was developed for the McLaren P1 supercar, which is pretty awesome.
- The electric motor puts out 270 horsepower, all channeled to the rear wheels.
- Packs a Hewland sequential gearbox with fixed ratios.
- The Formula E Championship guidelines demand that all cars have the capacity to reach the 0-60 jump in 3 seconds. The Spark-Renault SRT_01E does just that with a top speed of 140 miles per hour.
- The championship also allows each team to have two cars. The Spark-Renault has a run time of 25 minutes, making this a great rule.
The Spark-Renault SRT_01E is a versatile collaboration between several parties, including some of the best talents from Formula One Racing. Renault, McLaren, Williams and more have a heavy hand in the development of this electric racing supercar.
The Formula E Championship inaugural season will be underway in September of 2014. There will be ten teams competing in the first year with a variety of electric racers that are sure to set hearts racing around the world. Will the e-circuit ever be as passionately followed as Formula One? This remains to be seen!