There is a secret Range Rover out there that has been closely guarded since the 1970s. The Range Rover Velar has been found out, however, and is actually for sale! What exactly is this model and why has it been kept a secret for decades?
The Range Rover Velar at a glance:
- The Velar is a prototype of the first Range Rover. It is a pre-production development model of the first ever one, which launched in 1970.
- Only about 30 of these units exist, and this is one of them. It will hit the auction block in February. It will likely become part of a collection that preserves the brand’s rich history.
- It’s name, Velar, actually means “covered”. The brand worked in secret to develop a luxury vehicle with off-roading capabilities, thus revealing what became the gold standard of just that.
- The first fleet was tested in extreme conditions in efforts to ensure they could handle the demands of countryside and ragged roads. The extreme was taken a step further when they were given the muscle to drive off-road.
- The only off-roading vehicles at that time were considered agricultural. Range Rover changed the game with the first luxury vehicles that did not flinch at a few hills or valleys.
- These units were powered by 3.5-liter V8 engines and capable of nailing the 0-60 mile per hour marker in about 15 seconds with a top speed approaching 100.
- The gearbox is a four-speed manual with a low and high ratio.
The Range Rover Velar is an impressive slice of the brand’s rich history. Who would not want a pre-production Range Rover that has been kept tucked away since the birth of the brand?
Range Rover Velar
Post by Imagine Lifestyles Luxury Rentals