The 2014 Ducati 1199 Superleggera has arrived. Some consider Ducati superbikes to be the Ferrari of the two-wheel world, and others find the latest member of the fleet to be somewhat lackluster compared to predecessors. That said, only 500 examples of the 1199 Superleggera version will be created, and over half are already spoken for. That speaks volumes for the desirability of the brand and this particular bike.
The next generation of the Ducati superbike has arrived. Meet the 2014 Ducati 1199 Superleggera. While reviews are mixed, none can argue that it is a high-performance beast capable of revving it up with the best of them.
The 2014 Ducati 1199 Superleggera at a glance:
- It packs a potent 1198cc L-twin engine with four-valve cylinder heads.
- Achieves 200 horsepower at 11,500 rpm. That is 5 more horses than the Panigale R.
- Lithium-ion battery and titanium exhaust.
- It is comprised of carbon fiber, titanium and magnesium. Thanks to these components, it is claimed that it boasts “the highest power-to-weight ratio of any production motorcycle”.
- It is based on the Ducati 1199 Panigale R.
- Ohlins suspension, Brembo brakes and a World Superbike-spec drive chain.
- Svelte curb weight of less than 341 pounds. The Panigale R is a heftier 364 pounds, for comparison purposes.
Several key components have changed, including the addition of titanium bolts, exhaust valves and racing-spec two-ring pistons. For those who like to go fast and perhaps reserve track time now and then, there is an available Race Kit for the 2014 Ducati 1199 Superleggera that ups the power an additional 5 horses and shaves 5.5 pounds off the overall weight of the bike.
Post by Imagine Lifestyles Luxury Rentals