Many feel that the Lamborghini Miura started the high-performance, two-seater, mid-engine rage that continues today. Produced between 1966 and 1972, the Miura enjoyed a successful run and secured a permanent spot in exotic sports car history.
During its 1966 launch, the Lamborghini Miura shocked the automotive industry. This is because Lamborghini had been viewed as a producer of high-end tractors up to that point. No one feared them as a competitor in this arena. Not only did the folks at Lamborghini grab the attention of the Geneva crowd, the Miura was the fastest production car of that time.
There were no exotics like Lamborghini’s Miura in 1966, in either the performance or aesthetics arenas. Only racecars and random obscure models had a mid-mounted engine, and none looked as futuristic as the Miura. The irony lies in the fact that Ferruccio Lamborghini was initially opposed to the Miura. He preferred grand touring cars, powerful yet far from the likes of local competitor Ferrari. So the brand’s design team created the Miura during their spare time, changing the tune of history.
Ferrari was churning out its traditional front-engine layouts at the time, including the 275 GTB and 1964 350 GT. There were Lamborghini cars prior, but imagine Ferrari’s surprise when the Miura rolled out and nabbed the role of fastest production car! It was certainly an unexpected victory for the Raging Bull.
Production history of the Lamborghini Miura:
- P400. Just 275 were produced between 1966 and 1969. MSRP was $20,000 at that time!
- The P400S emerged in 1968. 338 units were created between 1968 and 1971 and they were owned by the likes of Frank Sinatra and Miles Davis.
- P400SV—150 were made
- P400 Jota—Only one was made
- P400 SV/J. This is an upgraded SV that was created to quell requests for Jotas. Just a handful were made.
- Roadster—a one-off
- P400 SVJ spider—a one-off
- 2006 Miura concept—While the Miura is arguably the most important aspect of the brand’s history, it does not look like it will be a part of their future.
Post by Imagine Lifestyles Luxury Rentals