The name Volvo is not typically one that comes directly to mind when the words ‘luxury SUV’ are uttered. Yet, the company has been busy tweaking the XC90 since 2002 and she certainly turned some heads in Stockholm recently. Should leading luxury SUV makers take notice of this stealthy and deceptive creature murdered out in black? Is the 2016 Volvo XC90 a new contender? While it is terribly unlikely that a hip hop star is going to brag about owning one in a song anytime soon–it is climbing the popularity ladder.
The next-gen Volvo XC90 has an estimated release date of 2016. Will she have what it takes to steal away customers from leading luxury SUV brands?
The Volvo XC90 upgrades and specs at a glance:
- Some say she has enough luxury peppered in to draw the attention of leading brands. Will Volvo be viewed as a threat? The idea seems hilarious, but nothing is impossible. Look at what Lexus managed to achieve with their very first attempt at a supercar, the LFA.
- The XC90 will be the first vehicle built using Volvo’s new SPA modular platform. It features four-cylinder engines paired with hybrid technology.
- So far, we have an exterior with serious upgrades in the appearance arena and a futuristic hybrid powertrain. The remaining area is the cabin, and it also meets with approval. It is drenched with fine materials and all current technology including tablet touchscreen display and more.
- Engine capacities: 2.0-liter four-banger hybrid will be named the T6 and churn forth 316 horses. A V8 version named the T8 will provide the option of 400 horses and there could be some diesel variants.
- Pricing is expected to start at around $49k.
Here is a fun fact: The XC90’s nifty daytime running lights have been dubbed “Thor’s Hammer”.
With ample seating and luxury, people are taking notice of this model.