Untying the knot (severing and torching) is an angsty and expensive ordeal, but when you happen to be a celebrity, it can be downright brutal! For the price some of these stars paid to sever ties, one could own an impressive fleet of luxury rental cars, high-end properties around the world and so much more! Ouch!
The Top 10 most expensive celebrity divorces, reported by Forbes, include:
1. Michael Jordan. After a lengthy 18-year marriage to wife Juanita Vanoy, Vanoy walked away with a cool $150 million divorce settlement. The song ‘Love Hurts’ is running through my head.
Michael Jordan & Juanita Vanoy divorce
2. Neil Diamond. Right up there with Jordan, Neil Diamond’s wife Marcia Murphey was awarded an estimated $150 million following their divorce in 1996 (they married in 1969). Diamonds are a girls best friend!
Neil Diamond & Marcia Murphey
3. Steven Spielberg. If you haven’t heard this tale, it is a good one! It seems that Steven tried to prevent disaster, but needed the right piece of paper to do so…and that is not a napkin. The prenuptial agreement between Spielberg and first wife Amy Irving was written on a napkin. During the divorce proceedings, it was deemed that Amy did not have legal representation at the time she signed said napkin, and she was awarded around $100 million dollars. I wonder…did Spielberg cry into the napkin afterward? I would.
Steven Spielberg & Amy Irving divorce
4. Harrison Ford. Ahh the first wives club! Melissa Mathison was awarded approximately $5 million following their divorce for films produced and created during their marriage.
Harrison Ford & Melissa Mathison
5. Kevin Costner. Cindy Silva not only had the pleasure of being married to heartthrob Kevin Costner for 16 years, but she was awarded around $80 million dollars when the two parted.
Kevin Costner & Cindy Silva
6. Paul McCartney. Following much publicity, Heather Mills was eventually awarded around $48 million of Paul’s $700 million net worth after their divorce. Paul was unhappy with the outcome, but elated when the official 58-page judgment was released to the public, wherein the judge called Mills out on many of her financial requests, including proposed yearly budgets of more than $400,000 for private flights, $80,000 for wine and $250,000 for clothes—"ridiculous," as well as "unreasonable, indeed exorbitant."
Paul McCartney & Heather Mills divorce
7. Lionel Richie lost an estimated $20 million to second wife, Diane.
Lionel Richie & Diane
8. Mick Jagger. Jerry Hall received around $15-$20 million after Mick challenged the legality of their nuptials in 1990, obtaining an annulment.
Mick Jagger & Jerry Hall back in the day
9. James Cameron shelled out around $50 million to Linda Hamilton.
James Cameron & Linda Hamilton
10. Michael Douglas depleted his savings by approximately $45 million upon divorcing first wife Diandra. Before you go feelin’ too bad for the guy, he is married to Catherine Zeta Jones!
Michael Douglas & Diandra Luker
Catherine Zeta Jones
Don’t miss more celebrity news and our fleet of exotic rental cars in major U.S. cities on your way out!
Post by Imagine Lifestyles Luxury Rentals