It seems that Mercedes-Benz is finally joining the hybrid technology ranks. Word is going around that the first plug-in Mercedes-Benz shall be the S-Class. The move comes as little surprise, as the brand’s main competitors have created their own alternative energy powertrains. Examples include the BMW Active Hybrid 7 Series and the Lexus LS460H. Will the plug-in Mercedes-Benz be a success?The plug-in Mercedes-Benz S-Class will mark the brand’s official launch into the hybrid market. It will hit California showrooms first, where the Prius and alternative energy reign supreme. By the end of 2016, the first electric Mercedes-Benz S-Class is expected to be available all around the United States.
- As it is the brand’s first attempt at electric, she is a bit on the heavy side. With a twin-turbocharged V6 paired with an electric motor, weight could be reduced.
- The electric motor is integrated inside the seven-speed automated gearbox.
- In the speed arena, the 114 horsepower electric motor alone can propel it up to 87 miles per hour. So long as the driver does not have a heavy foot, it can easily go up to 20 miles on electricity alone, according to initial reports.
- After the electric charge runs out, the thirsty 329 horsepower V6 is quite capable of continuing the route.
- Surprisingly, the heftier lady can make the 0-60 mile per hour sprint in about 5.2 seconds.
- Top speed has been limited to 130 miles per hour for the U.S. market, but it can do up to 155 MPH in European market….lucky blokes.
- With enough things to plug-in each night and charge, Mercedes-Benz worries that plugging in a car could be an issue. For that reason, they will have a pad available in the next two years that the driver simply parks on, and it automatically charges the car. Think of it as a larger version of the new charging stations available for iPads and iPhones.
Will there be another humorous round of billboard square offs between Mercedes-Benz and BMW, this time plugging at the greener side of the road? We can only hope—that was hilarious. In the meantime, more will be known once the models begin to enter showrooms.
Post by Imagine Lifestyles Luxury Rentals